Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Periscope

Three days ago, I heard about Periscope on a Teachers Tech and Talk podcast that I listen to regularly.  I checked it out.  WOW!  I have learned so much in three days!  The Whimsical Teacher and a few others have rocked my world.  I have watched hours and hours of helpful scopes.  Here's how it works.  I set it up through Twitter on my phone.  It took my profile from Twitter and suggested Periscopers to follow from my Twitter followers list.  I followed a few and then looked up some that I know from other podcasts, Twitter and Instagram.  You can see who those people follow and who follows them.  I added lots of teachers and edtech geeks (honorable nickname).

When someone Periscopes, they make a recording.  If you follow them, you get a notification so you can watch it in real time or you can watch it later.  When you watch in real time, you can comment and ask questions and the person recording can see and reply!  How cool is that?  If you love what someone is saying, you can click on the screen and it gives the 'Scoper a 'heart'.  That's similar to liking something, except that you can give lots and lots of hearts!

If you're not able to watch a Periscope live streaming, you can watch the recording anytime in the next 24 hours.  After that, it totally disappears.  I drove to the other side of the state yesterday and couldn't watch in real time, so I watched recordings.  I couldn't comment, but I could see other people's comments.

Now I'm home and I watched some 'Scopes in real time.  I asked questions and gave comments and the folks I interacted with were awesome!  They were kind and helpful.  When I liked what another commenter said, I clicked on their name and followed them, too.  I think I only have 2 followers so far, but I'm learning lots, so that's okay.  Some day I will share in a 'Scope of my own.  I have lots more learning to do first, though.  Cool tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment